Stand Out With .ME.ke
Stand Out With .ME.ke
The current job market is saturated with qualified candidates. You may be equally, if not more, qualified, you may have a breadth of experience under your belt and references to fill ten pages, but still not make your mark with a traditional resume. To stand out, you have to do more – whether you’re a fresh graduate or seasoned professional. You NEED a personal website to stand out from the pack.
Also known as a website portfolio, a personal website is an additional source that you can use to demonstrate your achievements, work history, and personal interests. It’s your space to showcase you – the perfect personal branding tool. Not only do you have the opportunity to show your abilities better, but a personal website also gives the potential employer a glimpse into your personality. If you’re in the creative field (influencers, writers, marketers, designers, etc) this is especially useful insight for potential employers or clients. A personal website also speaks to your technical abilities and technological know-how – an important quality in the current, ever-evolving landscape.
There are many platforms currently available for you to create your own website, with a multitude of templates to pick from and many additional features. However, if you want to stand out even more, then you should consider getting a custom domain name to go with your site. A .me.ke domain extension allows you to register your own name as the URL, for instance, james.me.ke. This lets everyone know exactly who you are from the jump, and that your site is a personal website. Furthermore, a .ke domain name offers better SEO value as your site will be ranked higher and get more relevant local traffic.
With this in mind, what exactly should be on your personal website?
Here are some basic elements you shouldn’t miss:
- Introduction/’About Me’ – briefly discuss your professional background, personal interests, and primary skills. Here you can provide any additional information that may not be on your resume or cover letter, such as interests, hobbies, or awards and accomplishments. You may also include a professional photo
- Work experience or CV – Upload your resume to your website. It can be slightly less formal here, and a bit more creative — but still include all relevant work experience.
- Work samples – Treat the personal website like a portfolio to showcase examples of your work including published articles, design pieces, videos, academic projects etc.
- Testimonials or references – If you have testimonials, your personal website is the perfect place to display quotes from previous clients about how great you are to work with. You can also reach out to previous employers and ask for their (positive) feedback.
- Contact information – This should be complete with your email address and social media accounts, including a link to your LinkedIn profile. You can also opt to include a contact form through which recruiters can contact you.
When creating your personal website, make sure that it is easy to navigate and be as clear and concise as possible. Let this website be the centerpiece of your online presence and you’ll be sure to gain a competitive advantage in your job search.
Take the first step by reaching out to any of our accredited registrars on https://kenic.or.ke/registrars/ to get started with your own .me.ke domain name.